Position: K-8 Library Media Specialist (posted June 16, 2022)
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10.5 Month Employee
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
The school Library Media Specialist is responsible for the planning, development and administration of the library media program. The Library Media Specialist provides professional library assistance to students and staff in full utilization of services, materials and resources.
The Library Media Specialist performs these specific job duties:
- Teach weekly library lessons to all classes in Grades K-8
- Develop a thorough knowledge of subject area and grade level curricula; promote competency in information literacy across the curriculum
- Collaborate with teachers and staff to develop curricular content that integrates library media and technology skills
- Build and maintain expertise in a wide range of resources and technology, and in the assessing of those materials
- Collaborate with teachers, administrators and others to ensure that the full range of information resources is available to promote student learning
- Evaluate, acquire, and promote resources to meet the learning needs of all students
- Model the effective and enthusiastic use of books, video, multimedia and other creative expressions of information and sources of pleasure and information
- Work collaboratively and individually to design, develop, and implement programs that encourage reading for enjoyment and for information
- Maintain a collection that is diverse in format and content to support the learning needs of students
- Guide and assist students and staff in the use of new media and technologies
- Model and promote effective uses of technology for learning and teaching
- Coordinate the acquisition and circulation of library media materials
- Organize materials, resources and space to support learning
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of current legislation and regulations regarding access, copyright, and other legal issues that affect the library media program
- Demonstrate a commitment to the principles of the library profession regarding intellectual freedom, confidentiality, and other intellectual property concerns
- Model ethical and responsible use of information and technology
- Work with staff to determine the school’s information and instructional needs
- Maintain a current and in-depth knowledge of the research and best practices in all aspects of the field.
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- NYS Library Media Specialist Certification or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/