Position: Part-Time Music Teacher Grades 5-8
FTE Status: 20 hours a week (0.5FTE)
Duration: 10.5 Month Employee
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic Music Teacher who will:
- Teach general music and Instrumental Music Groups in Grades 5-8.
- Oversee the music room facility, curriculum, and resources to create a student-centered environment
- Build a classroom culture in which students love music
- Utilizes repertoire of all types of music literature, including traditional and contemporary, that are appropriate for the ages and skill levels of students.
- Show students how to properly use and care for instruments
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning by following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Engage students in the creative process and foster their talents, while deepening their knowledge and understanding of music, musical concepts, and music history
- Encourage students to express their own personalities and thoughts through the creative process
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and is age-appropriate
- Set and maintain acceptable standards of classroom behavior to establish an orderly learning environment
- Monitor and maintain classroom inventory
- Other duties as assigned
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children and staff in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school both orally and in writing
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university
- A demonstrated ability to creatively promote a love for music to children.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Master’s degree in Music Education or similar field from an accredited college or university or
- NYS certification as an Music Teacher or in the process of receiving
- Experience at the K-8 level in Music Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/