Position: Elementary Special Education Teacher (Grades K-2)
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10.5 Month Employee
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first - all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency - we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better - we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team - we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic teacher who will:
- Work in a co-teaching capacity with a general education teacher to co-plan and instruct in an ICT classroom.
- Identify and carryout specific student learning outcomes to be attained in relation to student learning needs and IEP objectives and maintain appropriate documentation
- Use data from all assessment sources to monitor student progress toward meeting academic targets
- Apply appropriate teaching strategies consistent with student needs, selected curriculum, and time allocations
- Make appropriate accommodations for student physical, educational, or behavioral disabilities
- Assist in training general education teachers regarding successful integration of students with special needs into their classes and activities; assist with modification of activities if needed
- Consult and collaborate with education staff, support staff, and administration regarding strategies for student success
- Provide assistance to students with special education needs in general education classes when appropriate
- Develop and communicate to students and parents the expectations regarding student behavior and related consequences as per EVCS policies
- Coordinate other services to the student as needed, for example, speech therapy, adapted physical education, occupational and physical therapy
- Make appropriate use of instructional time; maintain an appropriate physical environment and appropriate individual, class, and program records
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding student progress, utilizing means such as parent teacher conferences, telephone calls, and quarterly written progress reports
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility
- Coordinate with other teachers to meet program requirements of EVCS including participation in grade level planning meetings
- Provide an inviting, exciting, stimulating, and innovative learning environment
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning by following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Enable students to develop social responsibility by faithfully following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Promote connection to the wider community through field trips, guest presenters, and service projects
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Valid New York State Special Education Teaching Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Master’s Degree in Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/