Position: Student Life and Community Connections Coordinator
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Location: Days Park Campus or Hertel Campus
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment
that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader
communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students
can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic individual who will promote student success
through direct and indirect student support and family outreach:
- Manages Wellness Room and implements de-escalation strategies and protocols
- Responds to and addresses behavior support calls and behavior referrals
- Develops and coordinates programs, activities and events that encourage community-building, increased educational opportunities and support social connections for students and families
- Collaborates with administrative team to support disciplinary processes and procedures
- Collaborates with Behavior Intervention Specialist to support the implementation of
- Functional Behavioral Assessments and Behavior Strategies or Intervention Plans
- Collaborates with colleagues and other school personnel to support students with behavioral needs
- Provides social/emotional skill instruction to students
- Engages students in problem solving conferences, social conferences, mediation, community circles and restorative practices
- Works closely with families to provide guidance and support with implementation of strategies at home to support students across settings (home-school connection)
- Builds partnerships with community organizations to support students and families
- Works closely with families to provide guidance or support in connecting with community resources
- Participates as a member of the Student Support Team and other school wide teams
- Promotes a culture of positive social-emotional learning
- Practices and models effective Responsive Classroom and restorative practices
- Supports and advices teachers with implementation of Responsive Classroom and restorative practices
- Attends or facilitates meetings or conferences with families to support student success
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Has the ability to work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Is able to build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Has strong organizational, problem-solving and data-gathering skill
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in school setting
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Ability to communicate effectively, professionally, and in a clear and concise manner
both orally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate cultural sensitivity and work with a diverse group of people
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all stakeholders
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both
independently and on a team
- Certification in Responsive Classroom (preferred)
- Responsive Classroom Certification or Training
- Restorative Practices Certification or Training
- CPI or Mandt Certification
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to
ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that
enables our community to thrive.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without
consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status,
or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village
Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/