Position: Substitute School Nurse
Status: Per Diem Position ($20.00 per hour)
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning
environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate
and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that
all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
● We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the
academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can
achieve high levels of academic success.
● We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value
diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing
students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
● Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social
responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
● The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
● Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school
community that appreciates different learning styles.
● Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can
contribute to school life.
● We put students first - all decisions are made around what is best for students.
● We act with urgency - we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student
outcomes and needs.
● We always seek to be better - we believe seeking feedback and professional growth
directly impacts students’ growth
● We work as a team - we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a motivated Substitute School Nurse who is proactive, organized, and takes
the well-being of the campus community seriously.
The Nurse provides health care to students ensuring the maintenance of optimal health
The School Nurse will:
● Provides primary health care in the school setting and serves as a liaison between
home, medical community, and the school regarding student health concerns
● Provides nursing coverage for EVCS school field trips
● Collaborate with school nurse with compliance with NYSED policies and New York
State Department of Health requirements
● Assists with vision, hearing and scoliosis screening and health assessments
● Provides first aid and clinical assessment for staff and students
● Administers student medications and completes required documentation
● Notifies family or emergency contacts of changes in student’s health status and
● Completes documentation for Accident/Injuries, Allegations of Abuse according to
● Monitors students for evidence of physical/sexual abuse and/or neglect of students and
reports as mandated by law, including pictures where applicable
● Maintains all required documentation including session notes, nursing service form,
seizure report, medication administration record, treatment record, telephone
communication log, and accident and injury reports in an accurate, concise and timely
● Conducts body checks on students involved in physical interventions and documents in
accordance with current protocol
● Constantly maintains high professional standards at work with regard to personal
behavior and interactions with other staff and families.
● Follows all legislation related to confidentiality of health information and HIPAA
● Additional job duties may be needed based on the needs of EVCS
What We Look For
● Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
● Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
● Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
● Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
● Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
● Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
● Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
● Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
● Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
● Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely
● Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little
● Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
● Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
● Valid RN License
● First Aid/CPR/BLS Certification
● Bachelors degree in Nursing (Masters degree in Nursing preferred)
● Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
● Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both
independently and on a team.
● Previous experience working in a school setting
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to
ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that
enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without
consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status,
or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village
Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/