Position: Instructional Assistant
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
We believe that the social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success. To that end:
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- At Elmwood Village Charter Schools, students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic Instructional Assistant who will:
- Provide support to our teachers and staff members by fostering a culture of academic rigor and achievement.
- Provide small-group instruction, plan center-based learning activities, and lead guided reading groups
- Work with teachers to address individual learning needs of students
- Deliver instruction planned by lead teacher
- Keep students on task by engaging them in the lesson
- Complete documentation for RTI under the supervision of the classroom teacher
- Provide Academic Intervention Support (AIS) under direction of lead teacher
- Assist in classroom set-up and logistics – prepping student materials or manipulatives, classroom beautification and maintenance, etc.
- Provide lunch supervision
- Support in student behavioral management and de-escalating challenging student behaviors
- Collaborate with families and staff to support student learning
- Ensure the safety of students at all times
- Supervise students in and out of classroom as needed – this may include but is not limited to – moving students to proper locations during fire drills, lunch and recess duty, enrichment activities/classes, etc.
- Additional responsibilities to meet the needs of our students
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Ability to work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is able to build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Has strong organizational, problem-solving and data-gathering skill
- New York State Elementary Teaching Certificate or NYS Certification as a Instructional Assistant
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form at the bottom of the Elmwood Village Charter Schools Careers page: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/
Posted: August 2, 2019