Position: Behavior Intervention Specialist
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Location: Shared Employee
Reports to: Principals
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
The Behavior Interventionist will be responsible for overseeing, and supporting programs that provide behavioral support to both students and staff.
The Behavior Interventionist works with the Special Education Coordinator, Special Education Teachers,
Related Services providers and other key employees to perform these primary job duties:
- Collaborates with families, classroom teachers, Special Education Coordinators, related services team members and school administration for students with behavioral needs
- Develops and manages Behavior Support Plans (BSP) including all required data collection
- Provides ongoing support to classroom teachers related to student behavioral needs including but not limited to classroom observations, lesson consulting, modeling, and support meetings
- Responds to and follows up on all digital referral form (DRF) entries
- Provides tiered supports for students including but not limited to mapping, visual aids, break cards, CICO whole school program, mini lessons, and 1:1 conferences
- Participates as a member of the Student Support Team and other school wide teams
- Communicates with parents on an ongoing basis to report on behavioral growth/struggles and creates plans and materials for home use
- Supports and plans social emotional groups to help teach emotional management skills
- When required, attends CSE meetings and provides relevant data or reports
- Responds to level 2 and 3 classroom behavior support calls as needed
- Implements de-escalation and crisis management techniques and strategies in collaboration with other key staff
- Conducts professional development that promotes positive behavioral management techniques for the classroom/school environment
- Works collaboratively with Special Education Teachers to monitor and collect data for Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP) in connection with students’ IEP goals
- Stays up to date on best practices in the area of behavior management
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Valid New York State Special Education Teaching Certificate
- 3 years of demonstrated success as a Special Education Teacher or comparable experience
- Master’s Degree in Education
- Extensive knowledge with response to intervention framework and implementation as it relates to behavioral needs
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team
- Experience working with ABA practices
- Extensive training in de-escalation practices
- Knowledge and understanding of trauma informed care
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/