Position: Assistant Principal
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 12 Month Employee
Location: Hertel Campus
Reports to: Principal
Elmwood Village Charter School Hertel is looking for a servant leader to join our shared leadership team and diverse school community as Assistant Principal of our Hertel Campus. EVCS leaders bring dedication, passion and most importantly understand that relationships are at the center of everything we do. Specifically, we are looking for a candidate who is passionate about urban education, social-emotional learning, diversity and inclusion, and the success for all students. Encouraging a school culture where everyone is welcome and relationships are fostered is integral to the role.
Who we are:
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth.
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for an energetic Assistant Principal to assist with the leadership responsibilities of our school, ranging from administrative to instructional. The leader in this role will:
Administration, Student Achievement and School Culture
- Support the Principal in integrating the school’s programs, operations, and culture
- Collaborate with the Principal to create and communicate EVCS’s vision and goals
- Develop and maintain clear lines of communication and collaboration between staff, administrators, students and parents
- Develop, manage, and achieve objectives to ensure a focus on student achievement and a highly effective learning climate
- Assist with the planning, preparation, and dissemination of the school’s master schedule for faculty and staff assignments
- Lead and implement practices of the Emergency Response Team and develop and implement building safety initiatives including conducting annual safety drills
- Manage scheduling of substitute teachers to ensure proper coverage in all classrooms
- Provide coverage for School Principal as needed
Student Services Systems
- Oversee student support and discipline systems
- Foster a positive school climate where student discipline concerns are addressed in a manner that promotes student responsibility and mutual respect
- Work with Student Support Team to ensure systems for student behavior supports are effective and being implemented appropriately
- Respond to behavior calls when classroom assistance is needed
- Communicate with parents on student related concerns and behavior issues
- Works with the Principal to communicate and meet with families about student academic and behavioral successes and challenges
Teacher and Instructional Assistant Coaching, Development and Evaluation
- Act as Instructional Coach for all special area teachers and instructional assistants
- Conduct regular classroom observations and evaluations of teachers, providing real-time coaching and modeling as appropriate
- Support teachers in building strong, mutually respectful relationships with students and families
- Assist teachers with instructional practices as needed to include identifying resources, co-planning lessons and units, developing assessments, planning and pacing of lessons, differentiation of lessons, and the selection of best practices to meet the needs of their students
- Assist teachers in setting goals and developing action plans for success
- Contribute to the development and implementation of systems and structures to improve teacher practice
- Makes decisions that support the mission and vision of EVCS
- Assumes responsibility and takes initiative to support the mission of EVCS
- Possesses a growth mindset to improve personal and professional skills
- Ensure adherence to legal concepts, state and federal regulations and Board of Trustees policies
- Listens thoughtfully and responds constructively to feedback
- Is ethical, punctual, and reliable; maintains professionalism at all times
Other duties may be assigned as needed by the School Principal, leadership team or Board of Directors.
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement and development
- The ability to work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- A passion and commitment for social justice, equity in education and diversity
- Is able to build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Has strong organizational, problem-solving and data-gathering skills
- Certified in K-6 (or 1-6); National Board Certification and/or specialty certification
- Minimum of 5 years of successful teaching, with a record of successfully impacting student achievement and working successfully with students who have the greatest needs
- Master’s Degree in Education
- NYS certification as a school district administrator or school building leader (or comparable experience)
- Passionate about urban education and a belief that all students deserve an excellent education regardless of socioeconomic status, race, or zip code.
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by a shared leadership model to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/