Position: 6th Grade English Language Arts (ELA) Teacher
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Location: Hertel Campus
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic 6th Grade ELA Teacher who will:
- Plan and implement instructional units that are aligned to the New York State Common Core Standards and the curriculum of the Elmwood Village Charter Schools
- Collaborate with 6th grade team in lesson planning, units and co-teaching lessons outside of ELA (ie science, guilded reading etc).
- Use data from all assessment sources to monitor student progress toward meeting academic targets
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourages student responsibility and creates community
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners
- Organize flexible, goal-oriented groups that are based on students’ instructional needs
- Coordinate with other teachers to meet program requirements of the Elmwood Village Charter Schools, including participation in grade level planning meetings
- Provide an inviting, exciting, stimulating, and innovative learning environment
- Coordinate the classroom instructional team, which can include a teaching assistant, an AIS teacher, ENL teacher, and/or a special education teacher
- Ensure that lessons are rigorous and allow for students to elaborate, analyze, make cross-curricular connections, apply what they have learned, and develop creativity and problem-solving strategies
- Maintain open communication with parents and encourage parent participation
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning by following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Enable students to develop social responsibility by faithfully following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Promote connection to the wider community through field trips, guest presenters, and service projects
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Valid New York State Teaching Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Master’s Degree in Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.