Position: Social Worker
Status: Full Time Exempt (Professional Scale)
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Location: Shared (Hertel and Days Park Campus)
Reports to: Principals
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a motivated School Licensed Clinical Social Worker who is proactive, organized, and who takes the well-being of the campus community seriously.
The School Social Worker will be the link between the home, School and community in providing direct as well as indirect services to students, families and school personnel to promote and support students’ academic and social success.
The School Social Worker will empower students, families and school personnel to access available opportunities and resources to fully develop each students’ potential.
The School Social Worker will:
- Build strong relationships with students, families, and staff and establish a relationship of mutual trust and respect
- Act as a liaison between home, school, and community providers to access, mobilize, and coordinate services
- Communicate with families about students’ academic, social, emotional, and/or behavioral progress
- Consult and collaborate with social services, mental health, and other community providers
- Provide direct counseling services to select students
- Work collaboratively with school personnel to design and implementing social skills, anger management, stress reduction or other similar instruction as is appropriate to addressing students’ needs
- Assists school staff in developing and implementing interventions
- Provides information and assistance to families to help them understand their child’s needs and equip them with the tools necessary to support their child’s educational and/or social-emotional progress
- Provides parent training and support as needed.
- Participate in Student Support Team (SST) meetings as well as some Individual Educational Planning (IEP) Meetings
- Prepare a social or developmental history
- Provide direct individual and/or group counseling services
- Conduct home visits related to establishing communication and positive connections between the parent/guardian and school setting around identified issues
- Provide staff with essential information to better understand factors (cultural, societal, economic, familial, health, etc.) affecting a student’s performance and behavior
- Assess students with mental health concerns, including conducting risk assessments
Additional job duties may be needed based on the needs of EVCS
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Certification as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and/or School Social Worker Certification
- Masters degree in Social Work
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Previous experience working in a school setting
- Two or more years of Social Work experience
- Additional certification in counseling (LMHC) desired but not required
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/