Position: School Nurse
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Hours: Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm
Location: Hertel Campus
Reports to: Principals
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first - all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency - we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better - we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team - we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a motivated School Nurse who is proactive, organized, and takes the well-being of the campus community seriously.
The Nurse provides health care to students ensuring the maintenance of optimal health standards. In this position the Nurse serves as an advocate for health rights of students; consultant for health concerns of students; and promoter of sound health care practices within the school.
The School Nurse will:
- Provides primary health care in the school setting and serves as a liaison between home, medical community, and the school regarding student health concerns
- Maintains compliance with NYSED policies and New York State Department of Health requirements
- Coordinates vision, hearing and scoliosis screening and health assessments
- Provides first aid and clinical assessment for staff and students
- Administers student medications and completes required documentation
- Notifies family or emergency contacts of changes in student’s health status and evaluations
- Maintains adequate first aid, medical supplies, and equipment to meet the needs of the students and school
- Completes documentation for Accident/Injuries, Allegations of Abuse according to regulations
- Prepares and maintains student cumulative health records including immunizations
- Counsels student and families in maintaining good health through use of proper diet, routine medical care, screening and maintaining up to date immunizations
- Follows Communicable Disease Control Procedures, informs and advises parents and/or staff regarding policy for school exclusion and readmission
- Distributes pertinent medical information to EVCS staff to assure the health, safety while maintaining students protected health information
- Monitors students for evidence of physical/sexual abuse and/or neglect of students and reports as mandated by law, including pictures where applicable
- Prepares a student plan of care for warranted medical conditions including but not limited to asthma, fracture, infections, seizure, and diabetes
- Maintains all required documentation including session notes, nursing service form, seizure report, medication administration record, treatment record, telephone communication log, and accident and injury reports in an accurate, concise and timely manner
- Conducts body checks on students involved in physical interventions and documents in accordance with current protocol
- Constantly maintains high professional standards at work with regard to personal behavior and interactions with other staff and families.
- Follows all legislation related to confidentiality of health information and HIPAA
- Attend various school meetings (i.e safety team and student support team meeting)
Additional job duties may be needed based on the needs of EVCS
What We Look For
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Valid RN License
- First Aid/CPR/BLS Certification
- Bachelors degree in Nursing (Masters degree in Nursing preferred)
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Previous experience working in a school setting
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/