Position: School Occupational Therapist
Status: Full Time Exempt
Duration: 10 Month Employee
Location: Shared between Hertel Campus and Days Park Campus
Reports to: Principals
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
We believe that the social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success. To that end:
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- At Elmwood Village Charter Schools, students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
Promotes student success, plans and implements appropriate treatment to meet individual student objectives and goals.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes current evidence-based practices to assess and treat impaired fine motor, gross motor, visual-motor integration, self-help and sensory processing skills
- Plans and delivers an effective and comprehensive occupational therapy program.
- Assures that IEP mandates are fulfilled and document progress toward goals on the IEP.
- Screens and/or assesses students’ fine and gross motor skills and functional abilities (i.e. perceptual-motor, hand functions, motor coordination, sensory development, muscle strength, etc.).
- Develops recommendations for occupational therapy treatment, appropriate assistive devices, and curriculum access.
- Delivers direct occupational therapy services in compliance with established goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with a variety of stakeholders to communicate information about services and progress towards goals in compliance with established guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of IEP’s for those students identified as having a disability as a related service and as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Maintains files and records as required and prepares reports or other written materials to document activities, provide written reference, and/or convey information
- Complies with special education services within federal state/county procedural guidelines.
- Provide ethical and evidence-based treatment, guided by data collection, response to treatment, and on-going analysis of gross motor skills.
- Communicates and consults with students, parents, educators, administrators, and outside agency professionals.
- Participates as a member of the Student Support Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Shows commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter Schools
- Shows commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Capable of working with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is able to build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Has strong organizational, problem-solving and data-gathering skill
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy
- Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy preferred
- New York State certificate/license in Occupational Therapy
- Experience working in a school setting preferred
- At least 2 years of related pediatric experience, preferably with elementary school aged children
- Candidates must have excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both
independently, and on a team.
What We Offer
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter on Elmwood Village Charter Schools Website: http://www.evcsbuffalo.org/careers/