Position: Elementary Special Education Teacher
Status: Full-Time Exempt
Duration: 10-Month Employee
Location: Days Park Campus
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
We believe that the social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success. To that end:
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- At Elmwood Village Charter Schools, students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic teacher who will:
- Work in a co-teaching capacity with a general education teacher to co-plan and instruct in an ICT classroom.
- Identify and carryout specific student learning outcomes to be attained in relation to student learning needs and IEP objectives and maintain appropriate documentation
- Apply appropriate teaching strategies consistent with student needs, selected curriculum, and time allocations
- Make appropriate accommodations for student physical, educational, or behavioral disabilities
- Assist in training regular education teachers regarding successful integration of students with special needs into their classes and activities; assist with modification of activities if needed
- Consult and collaborate with regular education staff, support staff, and administration regarding strategies for student success
- Provide assistance to students with special education needs in regular education classes when appropriate
- Develop and communicate to students and parents the expectations regarding student behavior and related consequences as per EVCS policies
- Coordinate other services to the student as needed, for example, speech therapy, adapted physical education, occupational and physical therapy
- Make appropriate use of instructional time; maintain an appropriate physical environment and appropriate individual, class, and program records
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding student progress, utilizing means such as parent teacher conferences, telephone calls, and quarterly written progress reports
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter Schools
- Commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Ability to work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has strong oral and written communication skills
- Is able to build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Has strong organizational, problem-solving and data-gathering skill
- New York State Special Education Teaching Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both indepedently and on a team.
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Master’s Degree in Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Join Our Team
To apply to this opportunity, please upload your resume and a cover letter via the form at the bottom of the careers page.
Posted: July 29, 2019.