Position: AIS Teacher (Grades 3-6)
Status: Full Time – 2022-2023 school year
Reports to: Principal
The Elmwood Village Charter Schools provide a stimulating and engaging learning environment that recognizes student capability, fosters their connectedness to their immediate and broader communities, and offers them ways to contribute to school life. EVCS believes that all students can and will learn at high levels when provided with the right learning conditions.
Who we are
- We are passionate about social-emotional learning and believe it is as important as the academic curriculum, and children must meet with social success before they can achieve high levels of academic success.
- We have a strong belief in social justice and believe that every voice matters. We value diversity and a wide variety of perspectives. Our leaders are committed to preparing students to be critical thinkers who use their voices for active civic engagement.
- Our students are exposed to a strong academic program that emphasizes social responsibility, arts integration, multiculturalism, and community alliances.
- The EVCS community values relationships with our staff, students and families.
- Our students experience academic success in an intimate, peaceful, and diverse school community that appreciates different learning styles.
- Students know that they are valued and respected, and each one of them can contribute to school life.
- We put students first – all decisions are made around what is best for students.
- We act with urgency – we set a plan of action with urgency in response to student outcomes and needs.
- We always seek to be better – we believe seeking feedback and professional growth directly impacts students’ growth
- We work as a team – we collaborate to achieve shared goals.
We are looking for a student-centered, dynamic AIS teacher who will:
- Create lesson plans for small groups of AIS students
- Develop and deliver lessons that develop each student’s ability to read, write, speak, and listen to content areas at levels that ensure learners meet or exceed learning targets
- Administer academic and learning assessments for the purpose of evaluating each student’s progress toward meeting academic learning standards
- Apply appropriate teaching strategies consistent with student needs, selected curriculum, and time allocations
- Work with other classroom teachers for in class strategies
- Consult and collaborate with regular education staff, support staff, and administration regarding strategies for student success
- Make appropriate use of instructional time; maintain an appropriate physical environment and appropriate individual, class, and program records
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding student progress, utilizing means such as parent teacher conferences, telephone calls, and quarterly written progress reports
- Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive learning environment with high expectations that encourage student responsibility
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to learning by following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
- Enable students to develop social responsibility by faithfully following the Responsive Classroom and Cooperative Discipline models
What We Look For
We want someone who:
- Has commitment to the Mission and Core Values of Elmwood Village Charter School
- Has commitment to continuous improvement principles
- Can form relationships and work with young children in a nurturing school environment
- Has a passion and commitment for social justice, diversity and equity in education
- Can communicate in a positive and professional manner across the school
- Can build interpersonal relationships with diverse audiences
- Maintains a positive attitude, even in the face of pressure
- Is a team player and open to receiving feedback
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and is flexible
- Is solutions-oriented and completes tasks and projects effectively and in a timely manner
- Takes initiative, prioritizes tasks effectively, and can work independently with little direction
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion in the dissemination of information
- Can gather and organize data and solve problems effectively
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- NYS Teaching Certification
- Ability to pass a NYS Education Department background check
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Two or more years of teaching experience
- Master’s Degree in Education specifically in Literacy Education
What We Offer
EVCS offers an excellent working environment supported by our shared leadership team to ensure each person’s strengths can be utilized and fostered.
EVCS offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package.
EVCS believes in the importance of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that enables our community to thrive. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.